It began in 1910 when a small group of women from the 1st Methodist Episcopal Church in Salem had a dream to create a home for people who didn’t have the finances or the family support to live the last days of their lives being cared for with the dignity and respect they deserved. It was out of this “chrysalis” our “butterfly”, the United Methodist Retirement Center, emerged. In the “sunshine” of the donation of the first home by Mrs. W. B. Ware and hours of work by members of the Women’s Home Missionary Society the adventure began.
Over time and with many hours of work and vision by both staff and volunteers, we have spread our wings to include Jason Lee manor, Willson House Residential Care Facility and Willson House Child Development Center. There have been storms along the way which included a very destructive fire in 1961 and problems due, in part, to difficult economic times.
Out of this history, we have emerged with strength to spread our wings to be free for the coming Century of Service and Care for all those lives that are entrusted to us in this “Home” called United Methodist Retirement Center. Celebrate with us on Sunday, August 10th at Willson House on 1625 Center St. NE in Salem. For more information call 503.585.6511.